About the Project
Senglea’s seaward bastions and series of defensive walls formed part of the Knights’ fortifications around the harbours of Malta and were instrumental in the island achieving victory against the Ottoman empire in the Great Siege of 1565. The fortifications have been on Malta’s tentative list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites since 1998.
Scope of Works
AX Construction was responsible for the restoration of the bastion, gate, belvedere, and Gardjola within the historic fortified city of Senglea. With this renovation, the bastion facades, stone masonry, and clock tower were cleaned from overgrown vegetation, stains, and biological growth while damaged stone features were repaired or replaced, depending on their condition. Timber and metal apertures were also restored or replaced with structures of identical design. The Gardjola overlooking the dockyard and Senglea gate were replaced with accurate replicas due to the severe damage they have suffered along the years.
Our Goals & Achievements
- To rehabilitate the whole area comprised of St Michael’s Bastions and the Remains of St. Michael Cavalier.
- To restore the fortification walls, superior slopes, and platform over the casemated vaults forming the entrance into the city.
- To carry out structural restoration of the iconic Clock Tower.
- To clean the stone masonry from stains and biological growth, whilst replacing severely damaged stone as well as timber and metal apertures.
- To render the entrance more legible from a historical perspective.
- To upgrade and landscape the open spaces inside the walls, including Piazza Mitrovich,
- To make the platform over the casemated vaults accessible to the public and provide cultural and ancillary services in the area.
- Project was successfully completed during a challenging period characterised by a world-wide pandemic.
- Construct the Interactive Visitor Centre and give the public the opportunity to access this beautiful space which previously was not accessible.
‘We are extremely proud to have been given the opportunity to restore and care for these grand walls that hold so much history. We hope to do them justice and bring them back to life to a level they truly deserve. I’m very proud of all the hard work that the team has put into the restoration to successfully deliver this project on time’ — Ms Denise Micallef Xuereb, Director of AX Construction & Development